Cholesterol is a substance very similar to fat and is essential for the formation of hormones, acids, amino acids … Therefore; it is a very necessary element for life. However, if we consider its function, having high levels of it means a danger to our health. And is that the excess of it causes a systematic alteration of the elements cited such that “poisons” our blood.
Therefore, high cholesterol causes cardiovascular problems. That being the case, we must be very careful with him. In addition to the advice of the specialist, which you have to be very attentive, there are many home treatments to control it.
Here are some of the best home remedies for high cholesterol.
Aloe vera syrup
Its components include aloin. This is ideal for fighting high cholesterol, in addition to being a great antioxidant.
There are many ways to consume it, but the best recommendation to achieve your goal is this simple aloe vera syrup.
Once you have the preparation, you will have to take a spoonful before each meal.
- ¾ cup of aloe vera pulp (150 g)
- Half a cup of honey (167 g)
- 1 teaspoon rum, whiskey or brandy (5 ml) (if you cannot drink alcohol, you can do without it)
How to prepare it
- Blend all the ingredients at the same time until obtaining a homogeneous mixture and without lumps.
- Pour into a glass container.
- Cover it so that light does not enter and store it in the refrigerator.
You may also like to read: 5 DELICIOUS SMOOTHIES RICH IN VEGETABLE PROTEIN AND FIBER
Barley juice for high cholesterol
Barley stands out for its high fiber content. Therefore, it is one of the most efficient foods against cholesterol, as it helps us to expel harmful substances.
In addition, it gives us omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, perfect for reaching our goal. In this sense, it also facilitates blood circulation, making it an exceptional alternative to prevent cardiovascular accidents.
To take full advantage of the preparation, drink a cup in the morning.
- 1 cup pearled barley (150 g)
- 5 cups water (1.2 l)
- Peel of 1 lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon honey (25 g)
- Wash the barley grains with cold water.
- Add the 5 cups of water and barley in a pot and simmer.
- When the beans are tender, add the peel of the lemon and cinnamon stick.
- Keep boiling for 5 more minutes.
- After the indicated time, strain the juice, sweeten it with the spoonful of honey and put it in the refrigerator.
Other foods to lower cholesterol
Although these home remedies are good, the ingredients in your meals also count. Consequently, it is important that you strive to properly choose the products that you are going to use in your daily recipes.
Knowing this, we want you to know which are the most effective.
It is true that if we talk about calories, an integral macaroni has the same as normal. However, as we always say, these are not the only indicator of the goodness or damage of a food.
Whole grain cereals have much more fiber and their hydrates are slowly absorbed, so it allows us to stay with what benefits us and get rid of harmful substances.
They have the same advantages as whole grains.
- The most recommended are lentils, peas, and soy. Ideally, the latter can be consumed as a bean.
- You may find it difficult to find it in your usual supermarket, but they are often available in herbalists and specialty stores.
- In case you live in a small population that does not have many resources in this sense, trust in the sale by the internet.
All red fruits such as blueberries, cherries or raspberries are rich in anthocyanins. It is a compound that produces less cholesterol while releasing vitamins and minerals that strengthen us and help metabolize better what we take. Taking into account that fruit is vital to avoiding consumption of sugar and its consequences, we recommend that you use these to lower cholesterol.
Of course, we will obtain a greater benefit if to all this we add the accomplishment of physical exercise. This improves circulation, accelerates our metabolism and favors the elimination of toxins through sweating.